Vintage Imagery and Previous Words

It had been many weeks since I had last posted on my internationally acclaimed Wonky-Words blog. Why had I let my blogging prowess slide? Was I afraid that my legions of fans had abandoned me? Was it because I had too much to say and couldn’t fit it all into the white posting box? Or was I simply giving my readership time to savour my previous witterings?

It was none of the above. Sadly my time had been consumed by watching the pandemic death graphs, I had convinced myself that should my eyes waver, even for a second, then the graphs would shoot upwards and kill everyone – it was, after all, my singular vigilance that kept the UK graphs on a steady decline. It was an arduous task, but I was committed and dilligent in my determination to lower the figures, and not let any snippet of Covid news pass me by. And then, on the 15th June I got bored and decided to commit myself to something else instead.

I turned my head away from the graphs, switched off the news; started reading a book; looked out across the meadows; marvelled at the dancing flamingos on a nearby millpond; watched a couple of good films; started taking multi-vitamins; realised my tinnitus was easier to ignore when I stopped masking it with noise; and I remembered that I was a great artist of considerable merit.

And so I returned to my turret at the bottom of the garden, where, for many hours, I toiled over vintage documents; read previous blog posts; dabbled with specialist inks and papers; sampled fine whisky; so that I could bring my loyal readers an untimely art piece entitled: The Lost Trevor – A combination of vintage imagery and previous words.

Finally I had some artwork to slap up on my blog….

calligraphy-and-collage-uk

collage-and-calligraphy

I shall leave you to enjoy. BUT, I hope to bring more thrilling, yet possibly random, words to this neglected blog next week.

31 thoughts on “Vintage Imagery and Previous Words

1. lisleman

dancing flamingos on a nearby millpond -??- are you sure those weren’t Mallards at a distance dancing in the pink twilight one evening? (hmm “dancing in the pink twilight one evening” could be a post title) Of course a title itself is not a post.
    I’m curious what the insurance tickets cover. Train wrecks? Bad gin and tonics served? Getting lost in Paddington station?

Liked by 1 person

2. batarde

You can hardly be blamed for taking your eye off the old pestilence ball for a while – a lack of focus on that front seems to be pretty general throughout the country all of a sudden – but I can’t help feeling that we’re all going to be transfixed by a bloody great spike before long if you don’t return from the turret and start obsessing over the rolling news again. No pressure, but it’s not as if anybody else looks like stepping up.

That said, super assemblage, Ms S. Bravo!

Liked by 1 person

1. Scarlet Post author

Are you saying I should return to the graph watching, Mr Batarde???? *Gulp* I might glance at it for a couple of hours on Wednesday afternoons. Maybe that will stop the spike?
      SX

3. looby

Ah, it seems your bush has become more bright-eyed at last Ms Scarlet. What has poor be-cardiganed Trevor done to deserve his fate? I think your post is just a set-up, to remind us of the word “cad”.
    I love your assemblages, and I’m tempted to remind you of my address in good time for Christmas. Lovely to have to back in the meandering word-fold x

Liked by 2 people

1. dinahmow

I think the cardigan/sweater is sufficient justification for abandoning Trevor. Left to his own devices he might well have appeared on a train wearing a matching pair of crocheted shorts. Heaven forfend!

Liked by 1 person

1. looby

You have a good point there dinahmow. That would really tarnish the first class journey to Budapest, however well-mannered he was.

Liked by 2 people

2. Scarlet Post author

Dinah – How I love the image you’ve conjured!! I must find a pattern for the shorts – I’d be surprised if I didn’t have it!
        SX

2. Scarlet Post author

What a wonderful word ‘cad’ is, Looby! Along with ‘bounder’, synonymous with open topped motor cars and pipes.
      You are very kind regarding the assemblages! Thank you! And please remind me of your address at Christmas and I’ll see what I can knock up.
      SX

4. Mitzi

I’ve just ordered a little shelf for the kitchen to sit my Echo Dot on but to qualify for free P&P I had to spend over £20 or more, I’ve been looking at Michael Portillo’s Great Continental Railway journeys, I quite enjoy his programmes, he’s got the sort of face I’d be quite happy to sit on for half an hour, all soft and rubbery and then I saw the price and decided that I didn’t like it that much so I didn’t bother, I ordered a new cover for my ipad instead. I’ve just moved to a new house hence my absence

Liked by 2 people

1. Scarlet Post author

Mitzi – Have you tried searching for a Micheal Portillo rubber mask??
      Did you move during the pandemonium?? Have you finished decorating??? Questions, questions…..
      SX

1. Mitzi

The decorator is coming back on Thursday to paper and paint my bedroom and at a later date to paint and paper the fourth and that should be it, I’ve got misters coming down tomorrow to start work on the garage, it’s a double door garage i’m having it turned into a one, I’m spending money like there is no tomorrow.

2. Scarlet Post author

Mitzi – I too am spending money like there is some kind of pandemic going on. At first I kept my savings locked down for essentials, but I’m bored with that and went on a bit of a spree yesterday. If there is a tomorrow it can look after itself.
      Sx

5. Kylie

Do you have Instagram for your art?
    The handwritten part is my fave.

I single handedly watched the Australian charts until the curve started to trend downwards. Job done I’m now eating out as often as possible, in support of the economy

Liked by 1 person

1. Scarlet Post author

I do have an Instagram account, Kylie. I was doing well with it a few years back, but now I just use it to keep up with my calligraphy friends. I think these little projects are best kept between ourselves 🙂
      Meanwhile, I am still too scared to eat out!
      SX

6. 63mago

Wiski in the garden shed, glue sniffing in the twilight zone – careful with the gnomes, please, resentful critters. No wonder old Trevor was left behind, away with them knitters. Keep on buffering !

Liked by 2 people

7. Inexplicable DeVice

“With hand on hip,
    and cigarette in the air,
    who would lose a Trevor
    with such luxurient nasal hair?”

Or something…

Anyway, splendid collage à Trevor, Ms Scarlet!
    Might I suggest swapping the Southend to Clacton night train with the Cornish Riviera Express, as it looks like it might manage to journey in somewhat less than 10 hours…

Liked by 1 person

1. Scarlet Post author

Apologies, Mr Devine, I missed you due to Stanley’s comment [see Dinah’s explanation].
      Doesn’t The Cornish Riviera Express sound glamorous? Cream teas day and night; exotic dancing girls wearing cockles; fish’n’chip suppers…. I will book myself a seat, soon as my hazmat suit is delivered.
      Sx

8. Nick Rogers

Oh, you needn’t have bothered keeping such a close eye on the pandemic graphs. I was doing the same and so were all my neighbours and Tiddles the cat. You could have done other exciting things like sorting out the recycling or rearranging the tinned vegetables.

Poor Trevor, getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop. Not for the first time, I suspect.

Liked by 2 people

9. Scarlet Post author

Nick – You battled through!! I don’t think that’s a lollipop, I think it’s a fag that Trevor is posing with.
    Anyhow, all this Leicester lockdown malarkey has given me cause to check the graphs more frequently again. Damn it. I will just have to distract myself with more online shopping.
    SX

Say hello and stuff.....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s