What is it…..?

I am thinking of changing my career. I believe I have a knack for photography and have been encouraged by Charmaine’s warm, enthusiastic words. She has described my efforts as fitting within the ‘Modern Abstract’ genre of photography and reckons I could even be accepted by the venerable institute of Not On the High Street as a place to display and sell my wares.

Here is my latest effort….

a-very-blurry-photograph

What is it????

I am not so sure that I should give up my calligraphy aspirations, but Charmaine is adamant that she would be happy to take care of all my nibs and stationery supplies, I almost suspect that she is after my pens, nibs and ink and her encouragement may not be entirely selfless.

Anyhow, here is my most recent calligraphic effort….

calligraphy-collage-uk-vintage-envelope

New Envelope!!!

Finally…. Fleetwood Mac…. what’s that all about???

AND…. surely this is Karen Carpenter….But it can’t be…

36 thoughts on “What is it…..?

1. batarde

Cripes! It is widely held that photography cannot be truly abstract, but I think you may have cracked it, by George. Perhaps you could continue the collagraphy as a sideline, just for the time being. Please pass on a cheery “What ho” to Charmaine.

B

1. Scarlet Post author

Mr Batarde – In all honesty I would like this image blown up in all its pixellated glory 1metre x 1metre so I could hang it in my living room. I think it would look fab.
      Charmaine wants to know if you’d like some cheesecake?

2. LẌ

I notice a lot of bottles at Not On High Street. Coincidence?

Stunning photographic and calligraphic work!

3. dinahmow

Sporran hopped up to have a look and stamped her tiny paw on the comment and the screen went dark.Is it an omen?
    I think your mystery abstract is Sid’s eye. Did I win?

1. Scarlet Post author

Yes, Ms Dinah! You win a collage envelope!!! These creatures we share our lives with can be very disruptive…. I think Sporran’s stamping may have caused the power outage I had earlier today…. or it may have been the storm.
      Fleetwood Mac are proving to be a controversial topic…. nobody seems to be willing to share an opinion.

4. Mitzi

Karen Carpenter wannabe if ever there was one. Rumer sounds a lot like her too and have you heard that welsh singer Betsy? I thought I was listening to Cher when she came on the radio the other day. I’ve been in an Elkie Brooks mood today, she did a fine cover of Superstar using her own voice. “Last minute teacher thank yous” What’s that all about? Yuk! What a soft generation we have today. Just imagine, if you was accepted for Not On The High Street you too could be their cover girl and give old Nessie a run for her money.

1. Scarlet Post author

Mitzi – Not on the High Street – purveyors of overpriced tat. To be fair it’s not all tat, but the quality is on a downward trajectory, they no longer have any integrity regarding who they accept to be a ‘partner’ – who do they think they are, John Lewis? I saw a ‘partner’ selling a Brause 66EF nib for £2.00 simply because it was attached to a piece of cardboard with washi tape – these nibs are readily available at £1.25 from Blots or Scribblers. It makes me want to spit. And, ‘Last minute teacher thank yous’ – What IS that all about???? My teacher used to get something badly drawn with a crayon and I’m sure she was happy as Larry with my artistic efforts and has kept them to this day.

1. Mitzi

Your teacher probably gasped at it’s beauty and had it framed and mounted. My teacher used to get FA.
        I’m glad you wrote Air Mail instead of ‘par avion’
        Lots of tassel earrings. No me gusta. Those Yvonne Henderson earrings priced at £59 l suspect are made from rusty old drawing pins,

5. savannah49

of course, that’s a photo of your lovely sydney! (even though i know the lovely dinah has already won!) did you do a collage on the envelope, too? and fleetwood mac? well, they were interesting and i suppose, perfect for the time, but i always found stevie just a tad too overbearing. *shrug*

xoxox

1. Scarlet Post author

It is indeed the lovely, Sydney, Savvy!!!
      I only ever liked two tracks by Fleetwood Mac – Tusk and Albatross – but not enough to have bought either. I am banging on about them because they were wheeled out recently to promote a new single. It was, to my ear, very similar to that charming old classic, Puff the Magic Dragon, and I really did wonder what all the fuss was about. I am getting to an age where more and more things irritate me 🙂

6. john mcadam

Imagine if Karen Carpenter was the lounge singer at the Signal Station Brasserie atop Mount Nelson; What a wonderful way to enjoy a lunch of native pepper berry spiced Tasmanian wallaby porterhouse with beetroot sauerkraut and garlic beans.

7. lisleman

I’ve not heard Harriet before. She does sound like Karen Carpenter.
    Does she have something to do with Fleetwood Mac?
    Out of focus dog or out of focus photographer?

1. Scarlet Post author

Out of focus photographer, Bill!
      Out of focus topics as Harriett and Fleetwood Mac are unconnected. As far as I know 🙂

1. Scarlet Post author

Jon – I quite like that album cover!! AND Blurry Dog sounds like it could be the name of a boutique online store….
      I wish the media would stop promoting these raddled old pop stars – they make me feel old.

8. 63mago

Like Jon I’m astounded that members of Fleetwood Mac are still on stage … but in the days of a Deep Purple Good Bye Tour … that keeps the Zimmer frames a rocking, yeah !

Greetings to Charmaine, what happened to her Spanish torrero btw ? And greetings to Mr Sidney, he really grew up.

1. Scarlet Post author

Charmaine says Hello, Mr Mags! Crikey, there’s a question…. I haven’t seen Harold in a while. I think I left him fixing a roof tile a couple of months back. Never mind.

9. llcooljoe

Love the envelope but you may not take that as a compliment because I love S Club 7’s version of Reach, and find this cover is a little boring.

How you’ve managed to take such a blurred photo with an automatic focusing lens, is a mystery to me, you definitely are an amazing photographer.

1. Scarlet Post author

Thank you, Joey!! I think between Sid and I we managed to confuse the camera!
      I guess the cover version is boring other than the resemblance to Karen Carpenter 🙂

10. Ponita

Was Sid just moving too quickly for the camera? Jack Russells are known to zip about, after all! Fleetwood Mac has never been a favourite of mine. I find Stevie Nicks a bit flat. Old hippies… they should just hang up their instruments if their hearts are not in it anymore. Fans can tell.

I’ve never heard of Harriet and while she does sound like Karen Carpenter, I think Karen had a much richer voice. I really like Karen’s singing.

Your word work is lovely! As always… it is gorgeous! As are you. xo

11. Scarlet Post author

Awww… thank you, Ponita!! I think Sid lunged at the camera, and yes he is a bit quick. I will see if I can make a video of him charging around the garden – should be amusing. He also talks, which is sometimes disconcerting!
    I always liked The Carpenters.
    And, thank you for being drawn into the heated debate about Fleetwood Mac 🙂

12. IDV

Blimey! This is a well rounded blog post – photography, Sidney, collage, calligraphy, music, and viewer interaction (Harriet does sound like Karen Carpenter). What more could we ask for?!

I was all ready to ask about the Fleetwood Mac comment, but I see that it’s already been addressed – that’ll teach me to be at work all day instead of languishing in front of the blog! I like Fleetwood Mac more now that “The Chain” featured in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, but I think Mick Fleetwood should have stayed in his fish costume

13. Scarlet Post author

It is well that you no longer want to ask about Fleetwood Mac because I am bored with them now…. but good to see him in a fish costume, but a shame that Sam Fox didn’t accompany him as a tadpole….. I now have to visit the garden for a toilet break.

14. nick

Clearly the photo is a slightly scared-looking dog gazing at itself in the mirror through a a blurry haze induced by licking up that pool of spilt vodka on the kitchen floor. One of the classic shots from Ms Scarlet’s “blurry haze” period circa 2003-2004.

1. Scarlet Post author

Damn it, Nick, you are almost right, except that the blurry haze period lasted from 2003 – 2006. I will blog more about it next Tuesday.

15. Eryl Shields

Is there nothing you cannot turn your hand to with aplomb?
    I had no idea Fleetwood Mac were doing anything other than recovering from their over-excitable youthful indulgences, now I’m going to have to look them up.
    Love, love, love the envelope! X

1. Scarlet Post author

Ms Mistress…… 🙂
      Sometimes I reach into the annals of my memory and wonder what Mr Beastie would say…. something along the lines of Ppfffttt…. girls. But without the ellipses. Or any sort of grammar.

Say hello and stuff...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s